Written by Olivia Railey,
Sentinels Historical Research team 2017 Winner of $1,000 Scholarship
The Chancellor House is a home located in the city of Harpersville that has been registered as a part of the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Although the house is named after William Chancellor who owned the home from 1860-1908; a man named Mr. Fluker is the man who constructed the home. William Chancellor was originally from Scotland and came overseas with his dad at the age of twelve. The house is still in amazing condition and has been very well taken care of.
The house is built on brick pillars. The exterior walls are made of 6” pine along with the interior walls and ceiling. At the front porch, there are columns giving the home a more sophisticated appeal. All floors are made out of the same type of pine as the exterior. The shingle roof has been replaced and repaired due to weather, but the original structure is still intact.
Anyone can go to visit the house and even check out the magnificent garden in the side yard. Past mayor, Theoangelo Perkins used to host tours of the house to inform citizens of it’s history. If Mayor Perkins can be contacted anyone who is lucky enough may get a personal tour with plenty of interesting stories!